Skip to main content

Buspar or Gaunfacine - Less Prozac

After last night I think we will have to bring Ewen way down on the Prozac. I don't want to put him back on the guanfacine during the day because it made him so depressed. But now I am wondering if we didn't give it enough time?

So the plan is the bring the Prozac way down and we could either try the guanfacine during the day again, or I might give him the same dose of buspar that his sister takes, which is 2,  5mg pills a day...minute does.

There is 1 reason I might not give him the buspar.  I read study that said that only 1 child dropped out due to side effects and the side effects were involuntary movements. That worried me because right now he is full of involuntary movements.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9501886
We evaluated the efficacy and safety of buspirone in the management of anxiety and irritability in children with pervasive developmental disorders (PDD).

METHOD: 

Twenty-two subjects, 6 to 17 years old, with DSM-III-R diagnosed PDD-NOS (N = 20) or autistic disorder (N = 2), were included. They were treated with buspirone in dosages ranging from 15 to 45 mg/day in an open-label trial lasting 6 to 8 weeks. Responders continued buspirone treatment and were followed up for up to 12 months.

RESULTS: 

Nine subjects had a marked therapeutic response and 7 subjects a moderate response on the Clinical Global Impressions (CGI) scale after 6 to 8 weeks of treatment. Side effects were minimal, except for 1 patient who developed abnormal involuntary movements.

CONCLUSION: 

These results suggest that buspirone may be useful for treating symptoms of anxiety and irritability in children with PDD.


I want to give him the Buspar because it relaxes me and it relaxes his sister. I also want a way to wean him off the Prozac to a much lower dose while also having a mild medication in place to help his anxiety. There are no side effects of depression with buspar like there is with guanfacine. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Still Chugging Along

It has been almost a month now since the terrible effects of the prednisone.   This morning I gave 50 mg hydroxyzine and 500mg of phenibut and she still said she wasn't feeling great at 11:30am. So I gave her 3 droppers of Valerian Calm, which seems to offer a small boost of happiness sometimes.   I stopped her 5HTP and replaced it with 10mg of fluoxatine. But yesterday she said she was having a hard time peeing. So if that happens again we will have to re-evaluate.   After she is comfortable on an SSRI I want to start the minocycline antibiotic, but I don't want to do that until I get her SSRI support up incase the antibiotic makes her feel worse I read minocylcine can have negative psychiatric effects for some people). I have maxed out her supports with the phenibut and the hydroxyzine and have nothing left to give if the minocycline does something weird neurological too.  So to support myself, I took 20mg of fluoxatine (prozac) last night and feel w...

Spring Break 2017 Update

4ml Prozac, 500mg Zithromax 3x a week, 1.5 mg melatonin, less than a quarter of Clonidine Ewen is doing well. Right now he is vacuuming and mopping the whole house (all 850 square fee lol) To earn an hour of screen time playing Overwatch. We have had a few hiccups. He got in major trouble in school for hacking into the computer and writing silly things on a class web page. He said he didn't realize he would get a referral and get in so much trouble since he wasn't hurting anyone and would never bully. He also dropped his grades because he was too busy having fun with his friends. So Mike and I had a meeting with his teachers. He now has a 504 plan since he has had lots of absences.  We are paying close attention so that we can make sure he completes his assignments. Last month he was having trouble with tics (mostly huffing) and anxiety and so his pediatrician put his Zithromax up to 500 mg every day for a full week. That completely helped and was amazing to get him back...

Friday and Saturday, May 27th and 28th

(4ml prozac 4pm, 250mg Zithromax 4pm, probiotics and magnesium 7pm) So Friday morning at 10am we sat down in one of the rows of white chairs in the pretty courtyard of Ewen's school. The flowers were blooming everywhere and the weather was perfect.  We were getting ready to watch Ewen's 5th grade graduation ceremony at his little private school that my parents were able to help send him to for the last couple of months of this school year. He still has 3 days of school left next week but they are pretty much gong to be "fun" days.  After his graduation ceremony in the mid morning, we all went out to lunch with my mom and then they went swimming at her house for a while. I told Ewen that we were going out to go get Pizza for dinner and he said he would rather stay home and do nothing. He ended up reluctantly agreeing to go though and we met some of ours and his friends there...the friends that go to Waldorf schools and don't really play video games.  But they wer...